Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving unit.

Well, last week we managed to get in quite a bit of learning during my free time, which was very very limited.  However, all the rest of the time I was racing around to work, rehearsals and performances.  I had two video recording sessions, two rehearsals, a dress rehearsal and performance on top of my normal 3 job schedule.  Needless to say.  I wrote nothing at all last week.  I will get back to last weeks fun moments soon, however, we are in the middle of the most fun Thanksgiving unit and it is time to write about it.  I have linked all my inspirations in each discription.

First, on Sunday afternoon I had Madalynn make two construction paper turkeys.  One for her and one for her Remington.  She is crazy with glue, but she had fun.


After a google search of various pilgrim and indian ideas, I came across this blog link.  I am not sure how I cam across the toilet paper printables, but here is the link.  I was really disappointed that the printables were not the same as pictured on their website, but they served the purpose for a preschooler.
 After making the people, we bundled up and went out in the snow and wind and gathered some sticks from an old dead tree in our yard and some rocks.  We haven't got to the rock fire activity yet.  However, I asked Russ if he would be willing to help Madalynn build a teepee while I was finishing making dinner.  We had to go back outside a second time to look for more sticks, but we eventually found the perfect sticks.  

 The next morning I got out my hot glue gun, some scrap white muslin fabric from my stash, sewed some pieces together and glued it to the sticks.  I only glued it to one stick to start the fabric and then to the same stick after I had wrapped it around.
 Afterwards, I looked up imaged of Native American Tepees online.  There are some of the most amazing black and white images of various older Indians in front of their Tepees.  I had Madalynn pick her favorite image.  The kids loved it.
 Then I got out the paint colors she asked for and she went to work.....for the next TWO HOURS!!!  It was heaven!!!  She is very studious, but seriously, it is so nice to have time to spend doing stuff with just my son.
 Remington and I drew around his hands to make turkeys for a little while.  Then I just let him color while I watched, talked to him and encouraged him.

The TONGUE KILLS ME!!!  He is totally my
husbands and my son.  
 I just sat back, taking pictures and enjoying just relaxing on a nice Monday morning.
 Remington and I started working again on our wood 12 piece puzzles from Melissa and Doug.  I love these sets.  He is getting this one for Christmas.  We talked through finding the ground and then the various body parts.  He is sooooo ready for these puzzles.  His concentration through all 3 boxes of 4 twelve piece puzzles was outstanding.  I don't know why I just keep expected him to do things later than his sister did at this age.  I think, part of it is his slower speech capabilities.  He just doesn't speak as clearly, but he is developmentally just fine and moving along.
 More watching.  
 All finished.  The front flap does lift up to the left and there is a round door opening for her to play in.  Her replica was awesome for 4 1/2 yrs old.  She has watched her Daddy work a lot and I think she has learned a lot about attention to details.  I certainly love this little girl.
 Oh...and while i was taking pictures of just the teepee, I looked up and Remington gave me the most heart melting smile ever!!!  It was out of control amazing.
 I was about to put my ipad down to go get lunch ready...when I saw this precious moment.  They were both admiring their own work.  He was cheering while staring at the puzzles and she was explaining how she would play with her teepee.  Three cheers for hands on learning!!!
Tomorrow, we are going to focus on the pilgrims.  We are going to take a quick trip to Fort Utah, which is about three blocks from our home.  We will get the Lincoln logs out to build another fort.  I will be taking many pictures and I am sure I will be posting many of them.  I will also look at Scholastics website and got a tour of the pilgrim ship the Mayflower.  I think that Madalynn will really enjoy that.

We will be doing this packet tomorrow.  Thanks to all those people that have pinned thanksgiving units and also those that provide free stuff that I can use.  I would never keep up without their help.

Wish I had had time to order this book.  This is exactly the kind of thing that Madalynn would enjoy.  I am linking it in case I ever want to get it again in the future.

Hope you enjoyed and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment